Secret Service Responds to Shots Fired Near White House by Maryland Suspect
National 2 min read 61 views Featured

Secret Service Responds to Shots Fired Near White House by Maryland Suspect

Max Grey
May 24, 2026 11:51 PM
ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON — A 21-year-old man from Maryland opened fire at a Secret Service checkpoint near the White House on Saturday evening, prompting agents to return fire and fatally shoot him, authorities said.

The suspect, identified as Nasire Best, approached a security checkpoint near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW shortly after 6 p.m. on May 23, pulled a gun from a bag and began shooting at officers, the Secret Service said in a statement. Officers returned fire, striking Best, who was transported to a hospital where he later died. A bystander was also wounded in the exchange and was hospitalized.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the incident and was unharmed, officials said. No Secret Service agents were injured. The White House was placed on lockdown as a precaution while the area was secured. The lockdown was lifted later in the evening.

Best had previous encounters with the Secret Service, including an incident in June 2025 in which he blocked vehicular traffic near the White House, according to law enforcement officials. He had been issued a stay-away order and was known to authorities as an emotionally disturbed person with a documented history of mental health issues, multiple sources familiar with the matter told reporters.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

In a statement on Truth Social, Trump thanked the Secret Service for their rapid response. Details about the bystander’s condition and identity were not immediately released.

The FBI and Secret Service are investigating the incident. The motive remains under investigation, officials said.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

The shooting occurred about four weeks after a previous security incident involving gunfire near the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in April.

White House correspondents inside the complex reported hearing multiple gunshots and were instructed to take shelter in the press briefing room during the lockdown.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

No other injuries were reported. The area around the White House was secured by law enforcement, including support from local agencies.

Investigators are examining Best’s background and any potential connections or prior warnings. Authorities have not released information about the type of weapon used.

SPONSORED · ADVERTISEMENT

The Secret Service said its protective operations were not impacted and that all protectees remained safe.

ADVERTISEMENT
Share News
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT